Monday, September 22, 2014

And Now For Something Completely Different...

September 22, 2014

Dear Constant Readers,

As the comedy troupe, Monty Python, liked to say, "And now for something completely different."  As with Monty Python, so it is with this "One Writer's Life."  It's time for something completely different!

As you know, for the past several posts I have been focusing upon my life with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  And while I do intend to revisit this topic in the future, I feel that is time to shift the focus of this blog somewhat.

In a post earlier this year, I mentioned that I am working on two different books.  Both of these books are memoirs.  One is a spiritual memoir about the past 13 years of living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  It is tentatively entitled, "The Reluctant Ascetic: A Journey Through the Desert of Chronic Illness."  The four blog posts, "My Very Own Personal Apocalypse," may well form the first chapter of this work.

The other book that I am working on is about my own coming-of-age story set in the 1960s and early 1970s in Kingsport, Tennessee - my hometown.  The working title for this memoir is, "The Confessions of a Second Grade Failure."

I have spoken to one literary agent in New York who is interested in both books.  She has requested an outline of the book on chronic illness and the first 100-pages of my coming-of-age memoir.  While I am both honored and excited about her interest, I realize that I need some help in amassing the materials she has requested.  Specifically, I need your (the constant readers) help!

How can you help, you might ask.  The answer is - by serving as my designated readers as I go about writing those first 100-pages of my book on growing up in Kingsport.  Every writer needs someone in mind who serves as the "ideal reader" when writing.  I would like you, constant readers, to serve in this capacity for me.

Here is what I propose: Beginning this week, my blog posts for the next month or so will serve as
potential chapters in progress.  While I do have a chapter outline, my posts may not necessarily follow that outline to the "t."  Though my intention is to begin somewhat chronologically, I rather doubt that my writing will continue that way for long.  So be prepared as I jump around a bit in my own life story.  Just so you know, the period of time that I am covering is 1960-1973.  If this is to work, I need the flexibility to go with those topics (and potential chapters) that are freshest and for which I am most prepared to write.

So, as the Bible says, "gird your loins!"  In other words, buckle up and get ready for a rollercoaster of a ride in the next month or two.  I have a pretty good idea of where we are going together, but the map that I am following is not altogether clear and the directions somewhat hazy.  But if you stick with me, offering me occasional words of encouragement and sometimes even giving me actual feedback, I promise you that at least you won't be bored!

So how about it?  Are you with me?  If so, then let's get this ride cranked up and raring to go.  Let's get this book written!

Cheers,

Stephen

6 comments:

  1. I'm ready! My loins are girded. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, glad that you are ready and that your loins are girded! ;)

      Delete
  2. I have girded my loins and am ready for the ride!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie, let's ride together up in the first car with our hands up! ;) Thanks for all your encouragement and support.

      Delete