Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Books I Most Enjoyed Reading in 2013

Before I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 2001, I was a voracious reader - sometimes reading 200-300 books a year.  But in the past 12 years, it has been much harder to read nearly that much.  It takes a great deal of concentration and energy, both of which I have in short supply.  Nevertheless, reading continues to be my passion.  I'm happy to report that I am able to reading daily, even if it's just for a short time.  But it is progress!

The books that I most enjoyed in 2013 were not all published in 2013.  This list represents the books I finally got around to reading in the last twelve months.  Some were read the old fashioned way, physical books of paper.  Others were read on the Kindle app on my iPad.  Still others were listened to through my Audible app, also on my iPad.  This last category may raise some questions.  Is listening to a book with your ears really the same as reading a book with your eyes?  I would argue that, yes, it is indeed reading.  And depending upon the narrator, it can be an even more enjoyable experience than I would have imagined previously.

I am adding a second book list to the first.  It is a list of 10 books published in 2013 that I would like to read and am planning on reading.  I actually have far more than 10 on my personal list, but 10 will do for this post.

I hope you enjoy both lists.  I would love to hear what you have read this past year and what brought you the most joy.

Steve

The Books I Most Enjoyed Reading in 2013:

1.  Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb
2.  The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
3.  A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
4.  In One Person by John Irving
5.  Two Graves by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston
6.  11-22-63 by Stephen King
7.  Under the Dome by Stephen King
8.  On Writing by Stephen King (actually a re-read)
9.  Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe
10. New Collected Poems by Wendell Berry

Books Published in 2013 Which I Plan To Read:

1.  Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin
2.  Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
3.  The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer
4.  Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
5.  Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
6.  Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz
7.  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
8.  NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
9.  Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
10.  Guests on Earth by Lee Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment