Wednesday, January 8, 2014

You've Got Mail!


Okay, I'll admit it - I am a philatelist - yes, a philatelist!  I love collecting stamps.  Recent ones, old ones, new ones, used ones - I love them all.

When I was about 10 years old, my mom's adopted (sort of) sister, Aunt Maude, came for a visit and especially to spend time with my grandmother, Cora.  My grandmother had taken Maude in at a very critical period in her life and had cared for her.  They loved each other as if they really were mother and daughter.

During her visit, Maude introduced me to two things: 1) Ranger Rick Magazines (a blog post in and of itself); and 2) the love of collecting stamps.  After she returned to her home in California, she sent me a large envelope of used stamps - some of which dated to WWII and were from Germany.  My parents promptly locked them away in a box because of this potential value, so I didn't get much of a chance to enjoy looking at them.  But I have never forgotten this wonderful gift - both of the stamps themselves and of the hobby.

In the last year, I have begun collecting stamps again.  It happened quite by accident.  After my
daughters, Sarah and Gabbie, left for college, I realized that four of my children no longer lived at home.  I wanted to stay in touch with them and so I started sending all four of them monthly (usually around holidays) greeting cards.  I picked out what I thought were cute cards or cheesy ones, but at least able to bring a smile.  Then I began to stop by the post office to pick out interesting stamps.  All the feelings of my childhood fascination with stamps came flooding back.  Soon it wasn't enough to pick from whatever was available at the local P.O., I started ordering directly from the U.S.P.S. online which had a much greater variety of stamps.

As time has passed, no longer do just my four daughters receive cards from me (now more frequently than monthly), but I've even started getting requests for cards.  My mailing list has greatly expanded - much to my joy.  I love picking out the cards and inscribing them with greetings.  I also enjoy decorating the outside envelope with various kinds of stickers - on both sides.  But the choice of which stamp to affix to each envelope really brings me delight!

I encourage you to think about becoming a philatelist - a stamp collector.  Or at least, become a supporter of the post office and buy stamps for letters and cards that you can send to your family members and friends.  The truth is - everybody loves getting mail, and especially mail sent adorned by beautiful stamps, cheesy stickers, and lots of love.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S.  Remember that the contest for the free Kindle giveaway is ongoing through January.  If you have friends, family or colleagues whom you think might enjoy receiving this blog by email, then feel free to forward this posting on to them.  To be eligible for the free Kindle, a person must visit my blog website - http://stephenarhodes.blogspot.com/ - and subscribe to it through the "Follow By Email" option.

No comments:

Post a Comment