Friday, January 31, 2014

My Actual Bucket List (Really!)

January 31, 2014

The past couple of days I have had a lot of fun posting what I would not put on my bucket list.
  Thank you for your wonderful feedback on both lists.  I'm glad I was able to give you a few laughs.

Today, I'd like to share with you what I actually would include on the to-do list for my life.  These are real aspirations that I would like to accomplish before I "kick the bucket," so to speak, given the right circumstances.

I decided to share this list of aspirations so that you might get to know me a little better also, and that you might share in my dreams a little bit.

Cheers,

Steve

My Actual Bucket List (Really!)


* Go to Rome, visit the Vatican and meet Pope Francis


I have wanted to go to Rome for many years now. I want to see it all - the Colosseum, the Forum and Palatine Hill, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Catacombs, the Apian Way, St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Museums... I could go on. But in the past seven months, since he was elected pontiff, I have felt a strong pull to see Pope Francis. Even though I am a Protestant, I love the message of good news to the poor than Pope Francis is delivering. Though I would be satisfied just to see him amid the crowd in St. Peter's Square as he speaks from his window in the Vatican. But, I must confess, that there is a part of me that wishes I could have a Papal audience with him and maybe, just maybe, receiving a blessing and a word for my healing from him.

* Build a log cabin in the mountains


When Lynn and I need a break from our routines, we often will make our escape to the Blueridge Mountains to the west of us. Last winter, we rented a log cabin near Crabtree Falls. It was an amazing weekend. Since that time, I have come up with an idea to either buy an old cabin or to have one built so that Lynn and I would have our own place to get away to. It would be lovely to have a creek or stream nearby as well.

* Live in England for three months (with at least a month in London)

Lynn and I visited England in the winter of 1992 and had a lovely time. We even rented a car, driving on the wrong side of the road in thick fog just to see the countryside. We spent a week touring the country and then a week in London. In the years since that trip, I have tracing my family's genealogy. One of my discoveries is that both on my father's and mother's sides of the family about 90 percent of my ancestors were English. I would love to see when my great-grandparents (several generations removed) lived. I admit, with or without the English heritage, I would still be an Anglophile - a lover of all things English. So why not spend a season or so there drinking tea, visiting ancient churches and looking up dead ancestors?


* Read the New Testament in Greek, and the Old Testament in Hebrew

When I attended Emory & Henry College, I studied Koine Greek, the common language of Greek in which the New Testament was written. I took Greek with my New Testament professor, Dr. Kellogg, a wonderful teacher and scholar. When I had finished all the Greek courses which were offered, I also took an additional self-study with Dr. Kellogg in which I translated the Book of Mark. It was a great experience and gave me a new appreciation for those who have translated the Bible in it's entirety. In seminary, I took Hebrew. It was not as easy or as rewarding as learning Greek, but I did okay. So with this background in mind, I would love to polish those language skills so that I could read the Bible in original texts - both in Greek and Hebrew. That ought to keep me busy for a year or two.


* Learn Latin (and maybe Chinese too)

I don't have many regrets in life, but I do somewhat regret not having taken Latin at some point. In high school, I took Spanish, which ended up being extraordinarily helpful when I served a multicultural congregation in a largely Hispanic community. But Latin is such a foundational language. It seems to me that one with a liberal arts education, Latin should be something essential to learn. So, one day I hope to fill this gap in my education. As Emory & Henry's motto puts it, "Macte Virtute" - "Increase in Excellence!" And so I will.

* Go to Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York

Ever since I was a kid in Kingsport, Tennessee, I have watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I doubt that there has been a single year when I did not watch at least some portion of it. I've always

wanted to go and see it in person - to watch the enormous balloons as they make their way down 6th Avenue to 34th Street; to see the floats and the famous personalities they carry; and to hear the bands from all over the country play. A few years ago, my old school marching band was in the parade - Dobyns Bennett High School from Kingsport. I wish I could have been there that year to see and hear them in person. Maybe I'll go when they are again invited to participate.


* Go on an archaeological dig

I'm fascinated by archaeology, and not just because I'm a fan of Indiana Jones either. The idea of ancient civilizations and their relics being unearthed has always intrigued me. I would love to go on a dig in Northern Africa, the Holy Land, or somewhere else in the Middle East and be a part of history by searching for it.


* Visit all 50 states and each of the National Parks

I've traveled to nearly all of them already, but there are a handful that I haven't been to yet. I would like to complete the journey. In addition, my wife, Lynn, and I love our country's National Parks. There are quite a few of those that I have missed out on during my travels and would like to those which I have missed.


* Learn to play the banjo (finally)

Two years ago, I bought a banjo. Not just any banjo, but a Deering five-string Goodtime Special! It's beautiful to look at and has a gorgeous sound. It's actually the second banjo that I have owned. The first my father bought me when I was 15. I took lessons and practiced, but gave it up when I discovered girls at 16. So two years ago I decided to give it another try. I took lessons and practiced, but soon grew discouraged in my inability to play worth a hoot. I have come to realize that my timidity with this instrument lay less in my skill than in knowing what kind of music I wanted to play. I'm really not a bluegrass player. I prefer folk on the banjo. Now that I know what kind of music that I want to play, learning how is much clearer.


* Be a part of a flash mob

A flash mob is a group of people who gather together in a public place to perform some eccentric or artistic act for a few moments and then just as quickly disperse. I think I would like to be in one at least once in my life. I would like to participate in one which draws attention to a pressing social or political issue of importance. Text me if you know of one which is happening nearby!


* Be completely out of debt

After raising five children and paying for four of them to attend college (Abraham, our youngest child, has a football scholarship to James Madison University), let's say that the state of affairs with regard to our finances is at best fragile. As with most Americans, we just have too much debt. To be free of that burden would be cause for rejoicing indeed.


* Establish a scholarship for the study of politics and religion

If I ever came into significant money, the first thing I would do is as I mentioned above - pay off our personal debt. The second thing I would like to do with such a windfall is to establish a scholarship at Emory & Henry College to support a student who wants to focus on both religious studies and political science/philosophy. When I went to school there, I majored in religion, but graduated with actually more credits in political science. For me, these two subjects were not in conflict. They seemed to go together well. They both asked similar questions: What is human nature? What is the purpose of this life? How do you live well? I would like future students to have the same kind of experience that I had as a student.

* Adopt a yellow Labrador Retriever

We recently lost one of our beloved pets - our dog, Tip. Tip was trained as a helper dog and served my mother-in-law, Claire, well for four years. Last year, she had to give him up and so we welcomed him into our family, along with our other dog, Lilly, a beagle. Tip was such a blessed to Claire and to us. His unexpected death has created a hole in our lives that no other pet can fill. That said, once our mourning is over, Lynn and I may well have a new space in our lives big enough to welcome another dog. If that is the case, then I want that dog to be a Labrador Retriever. I would like to train him to be both a companion and to offer assistance to the disabled. Labs are such wonderful dogs. They have a great temperament. And they are very smart. I look forward to forming a new bond with a dog such as this.

* Catch a foul ball at a baseball game

I can see it now. I'm at a Washington Nationals baseball game in Washington, D.C. The Nats are at bat. The pitcher from the opposing team throws a ball toward home plate. The batter takes a swing and connects with the ball. But it's a foul. Instead of heading toward the outfield, the ball goes toward the crowd. Though many reach out to catch it, the ball lands in the hands of one, Stephen A. Rhodes! Count on it!

* Commit at least 50 random acts of kindness

I have been blessed by so many people since the onset of my illness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, in the fall of 2001. I know how much a random act of kindness shown to a fellow human being can mean. So I intend to pay it forward and share the kindnesses that I have received with others.

* Bicycle through New England in the fall

I love New England. Lynn and I honeymooned there, mostly in Maine. So we have many happy memories of that trip, as well as others when her sister, Laura, was a student at Bowdoin College. But I've only been to New England in the summer. I want to go in the fall when the leaves are turning. What better way to see the natural beauty than by biking?


* Go to a Bruce Springsteen concert

With the passing of my musical hero, Pete Seeger, this week, I feel a sense of urgency to see his successor in this field - Bruce Springsteen. If Seeger has a mantel to bestow, I believe that Springsteen deserves to wear it. Bruce writes and sings, much like Seeger, of the things that affect the common working man and woman. I have all his albums, but have never seen him live. This is a must-do!


* Attend a poetry reading by Wendell Berry

The poetry of Wendell Berry calls to me and speaks of a love for the land than many an Appalachian intuits. Like with Springsteen, I have read many of Berry's poems, but have never heard him read his own himself. If I have to journey to Kentucky to do it, then I'm going.


* Finish writing my current book… and start another

I must finish my current book, "Confessions of a Second Grade Failure: A Memoir." Then I must start on my next book, "The Reluctant Ascetic: A Journey Through the Desert of Chronic Illness." When that is done, I'll start yet another...


* Make the New York Times Bestseller List in Nonfiction

I can't wait until the day comes when I open the book review section of The New York Times, only to discover than one of my books has made the bestseller list in nonfiction. If you are going to dream, then dream big, I say!


* And last but not least: Recover from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome


Amen.  'Nuff said.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't think you really had a fear of languages.... I've revisited my Greek texts every few years too. Good luck with your goals, or should I say ἴθι εὐτθχής!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading these. You really expanded my mind. I need bigger dreams! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful and inspirational, Steve. Because of how my husband and I have addressed health issues in our lives, the title of your second book spoke to my heart. I don't know what it is like to have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but I already have a small taste of its meaning in your life from the title alone! I look forward to reading signed copies of both of your next books someday soon!

    ReplyDelete