Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Top Ten in Books: Personal Favorites

January 16, 2014

Introducing a New Series: "My Top Ten in Books"

Everyone (well, most everyone) enjoys lists.  They are simple, informational and fun.  A good list brings order to the chaos of subjectivity.  A list can build community - as in a subject around which conversation may be had.  With this in mind, I've decided to start a periodic series of posts on what I consider to be my personal "Top Ten" in different categories of books.  Today's post is about books I've read which have made a difference in my life and would gladly consider worth recommending anyone.  These are my personal favorites.

I hope you will let me know what you think of my own subjective list of the "best" books in this area, and make your own recommendations of those that didn't make into my list but you think should have.

I encourage you to leave your thoughts and opinions in the "Comments" section of my blog - that way, everyone can see them and conversation can take place.

Cheers,

Steve
____________________________________

My Top Ten in Books: Personal Favorites

1.  A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

2.  Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin

3.  11/22/63 by Stephen King

4.  Father Melancholy's Daughter by Gail Godwin

5.  Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

6.  The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

7.  Oral History by Lee Smith

8.  Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

9.  Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb

10.  Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

P.S.  Remember that the contest for the free Kindle giveaway is ongoing through January 31st.  If you have friends, family or colleagues whom you think might enjoy receiving this blog by email, then feel free to forward this posting on to them.  To be eligible for the free Kindle, a person must visit my blog website - http://stephenarhodes.blogspot.com/ - and subscribe to it through the "Follow By Email" option.  Also, you will receive a confirmation email from Feedburner which requests that you confirm you want this subscription.  If you do not confirm, you will not be subscribed, so please do so.

2 comments:

  1. Owen Meany is on my list too. What a book! I think it's interesting that there are two authors on your list that I have really enjoyed, but not the books you have listed. For Barbara Kingsolver, my favorite was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. For Wally Lamb it was She's Come Undone. (I have his We Are Water on my to-read pile right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owen Meany is one of the most powerful novels that I have read. It just moved me. I'm a big fan of John Irving. I love his use of "voice" in fiction. Barbara Kingsolver's book, The Poisonwood Bible, was almost a tie with the one I mentioned. Powerful. As for Wally Lamb, I'm new to him. Wishin' and Hopin' was my first book by him, but I have the others. I'm looking forward to reading them. He's a great storyteller.

    ReplyDelete